Currently the city of Abu Dhabi has a population of 1 million. By the time of 2030, the figure will rise to 3 million. What will the urban planning department deal with such a large population, and guide the city towards sustainability? This short video will tell you.
“New Urbanism aims to build hamlets, neighborhoods, villages, towns, and cities rather than subdivisions, shopping centers, and office parks like those found in conventional suburban development (CSD). A fundamental goal is a proper balance between the needs of the automobile and the needs of the pedestrian. Maximizing walkability is essential.” – Comprehensive Report & Best Practices Guide
Seven Principles: (Comprehensive Report & Best Practices Guide)
1. Building blocks->neighborhood->village/small town/bigger town/city
2. Well-defined edge: a quarter-mile distance that everyone can reach.
3. Corridors are connecting different neighborhoods.
4. Human scale.
5. A range of transportation options.
6. Hierarchy streets.
7. Civic buildings as landmarks.